I want to share something very important with you to-day. Many people have different definitions for who or what a fool is. But after carefully studying Proverbs for 17 times I have discovered invaluable knowledge which will prune our lives. In fact one of the most dangerous things on earth is a fool. “Let a man meet a bear robbed of her cubs, Rather than a fool in his folly.” (Prov. 17:12) According to this Scripture there is no wild animal as dangerous as a fool. This verse attracted me to organize this write-up to radically reform and reposition destinies.
Who is a fool?
- A fool is an individual who denies the existence of God. “The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.”…” (Psa. 14:1, also 53:1)
- A fool is a person who trusts in himself/herself absolutely. “He who trusts in his own heart is a fool…” (Prov. 28:26)
- A fool is someone who refuses to obey the commands of God. “The wise in heart will receive commands, But a prating fool will fall.” (Prov. 10:8)
12 Characteristics of a fool
1. Slander or Gossip. “…And whoever spreads slander is a fool.” (Prov. 10:18)
2. Repeats same errors over and over. “As a dog returns to his own vomit, so a fool repeats his folly.” (Prov. 26:11)
3. Despise wisdom. “Why is there in the hand of a fool the purchase price of wisdom, since he has no heart for it?” (Prov. 17:16, also 15:5; 23:9)
4. Pride. “In the mouth of a fool is a rod of pride…” (Prov. 14:3)
5. Uninterested in understanding. “A fool has no delight in understanding, But in expressing his own heart.” (Prov. 18:2)
6. Lack of self-control. “A fool vents all his feelings…” (Prov. 29:11)
7. Perverse in speech (e.g. profanity, boastful, blasphemes, insults etc.). “Better is the poor who walks in his integrity than one who is perverse in his lips, and is a fool.”(Prov. 19:1)
8. Enjoys doing evil. “To do evil is like sport to a fool…” (Prov. 10:23, also 14:16)
9. Loves to create unnecessary controversies (or arguments and quarrels). “A fool’s lips enter into contention, And his mouth calls for blows.” (Prov. 18:6, also 20:3)
10. Brings trouble and sorrow to family. “He who troubles his own house will inherit the wind, And the fool will be servant to the wise of heart.” (Prov. 11:29, also 17:21)
11. Unsubmissive to counsel. “The way of a fool is right in his own eyes…” (Prov. 12:15, also 17:10)
12. Easily annoyed. “A fool’s wrath is known at once…” (Prov. 12:16 also 14:17)
5 Wages for a fool
- Backsliding (or falling). “He who winks with the eye causes trouble, But a prating fool will fall.” (Prov. 10:10, also 10:8)
- Cannot be a leader, because they are destined to serve the wise. “…And the fool will be servant to the wise of heart.” (Prov. 11:29)
- Poverty. “Luxury is not fitting for a fool, much less for a servant to rule over princes.” (Prov. 19:10)
- Shame. “Even when a fool walks along the way, he lacks wisdom, and he shows everyone that he is a fool.” (Eccl. 10:3)
- Death. “…Likewise the fool and the senseless person perish, And leave their wealth to others.” (Psa. 49:10)
Remedy for a fool
It is imperative for a fool to tame his/her tongue and apply his/her heart to wisdom, seek knowledge and covet understanding.
“Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace; When he shuts his lips, he is considered perceptive.” (Prov. 17:28)
“A fool’s mouth is his destruction, And his lips are the snare of his soul.” (Prov. 18:7, also 17:28)
I know this has hurt your feelings because you can identify one or two characteristics in your life. I perceived that you will be hurt for which reason I have carefully added Scriptures from God’s Word for you to know who actuality is speaking. I believe the very honest folks would rejoice and seek God to temper with their hearts (and lives). Please let today be the beginning of exploration and learning from this blog. Don’t stop learning from my blog because the Spirit of God led me to be honest. I love you very much.
Any reproductions from this site must include a proper acknowledgement as follows:
By S. E. Entsua-Mensah. ©2014 Christ for Humanity Outreach
You are permitted and encouraged to reproduce and distribute this material in its entirety or in unaltered excerpts, as long as you do not charge a fee. For internet posting, please use only unaltered excerpts (not the content in its entirety) and provide a hyperlink to this page. Any exceptions to the above should be approved by Christ for Humanity Outreach.