From generation to generation, God uses men to bless the whole of humanity and we have been blessed by scores of them. In the midst of all these great people, D.L. Moody is a name worth mentioning, not just for a life well lived but mainly for the rich examples of true Christianity in the life of this one man and how massively he imparted so many lives. Let us read the very words from the mouth of the Rev. Moody:
1. There are three kinds of faith in Christ:
I. Struggling faith, like a man in deep water desperately swimming.
II. Clinging faith, like a man hanging to the side of a boat.
III. Resting faith, like a man safely within the boat (and able to reach out with a hand to help someone else get in.
2. God never made a promise that was too good to be true.
3. Grace means undeserved kindness. It is the gift of God to man the moment he sees he is unworthy of God’s favor.
4. Seeking to perpetuate one’s name on earth is like writing on the sand by the seashore; to be perpetual it must be written on eternal shores.
5. Faith makes all things possible… love makes all things easy.
6. Church attendance is as vital to a disciple as a transfusion of rich, healthy blood to a sick man.
7. Temptations are like tramps. Treat them kindly, and they will return bringing others with them.
8. Let God have your life; He can do more with it than you can.
9. We ought to see the face of God every morning before we see the face of man
10. We are told to let our light shine, and if it does, we won’t need to tell anybody it does. Lighthouses don’t fire cannons to call attention to their shining- they just shine
11. Some people think God does not like to be troubled with our constant coming and asking. The way to trouble God is not to come at all.”
12. We can stand affliction better than we can prosperity, for in prosperity we forget God.
13. The object of the Bible is not to tell how good men are, but how bad men can become good.
14. He who kneels the most, stands the best.
15. If I take care of my character, my reputation will take care of me.
16. The law tells me how crooked I am. Grace comes along and straightens me out.
17. The Bible without the Holy Spirit is a sundial by moonlight
18. Work as if everything depended on you and pray as if everything depended on God
19. I firmly believe a great many prayers are not answered because we are not willing to forgive someone.
20. We talk about heaven being so far away. It is within speaking distance to those who belong there. Heaven is a prepared place for a prepared people.
21. Small numbers make no difference to God. There is nothing small if God is in it.
22. I never preached a sermon yet that I could not pick to pieces, and find fault with. I feel that Jesus Christ ought to have a far better representative than I am.
23. No man can resolve himself into Heaven.
24. The only man who ever suffered before Christ was that servant who had his ear cut off. But most likely in a moment afterward he had it on, and very likely it was a better ear than ever, because whatever the Lord Does He does it well. No man ever lost his life with Him.
25. As I go into a cemetery I like to think of the time when the dead shall rise from their graves. … Thank God, our friends are not buried; they are only sown!
26. Real true faith is man’s weakness leaning on God’s strength.
27. I would rather a thousand times be five minutes at the feet of Christ than listen a lifetime to all the wise men in the world.
28. If He laid down His life for us, is it not the least we can do to lay down ours for Him? If He bore the cross and died on it for me, ought I not to be willing to take it up for Him?
29. A man who prays much in private will make short prayers in public.
30. If God put Adam out of this earthly Eden on account of one sin, do you think He will let us into the Paradise above with our tens of thousands sins upon us.
Any reproductions from this site must include a proper acknowledgement as follows:
By Samuel Entsua ©2014-2017 Christ for Humanity Outreach
You are permitted and encouraged to reproduce and distribute this material in its entirety or in unaltered excerpts, as long as you do not charge a fee. For Internet posting, please use only unaltered excerpts (not the content in its entirety) and provide a hyper-link to this page. Any exceptions to the above should be approved by Christ for Humanity Outreach